I spend a lot of time discussing the female side of divorce and stepfamily issues. I’ve talked about my journey as the partner of a divorced dad and I’ve invited conversation from The Mom’s perspective…. among other posts. And throughout the life of this blog, I’ve gotten some much-appreciated input from men about these topics.
Tonight, I’m thinking about stepfathers… or, if unofficial, Mom’s Partner. This is a subject that hasn’t been addressed head-on and I’d like to hear what the divorced dads think about the concept of your ex dating and re-coupling. Based on previous comments, I’m expecting to hear some different answers than many moms would honestly give…
- What insecurities do you have?
- Do you question his feelings for your kids?
- Do you fear for your children’s safety in his care?
- Do you worry that your kids will be confused by his presence?
- Does the partner’s presence cause tension between you and your ex?
- Have you gotten to know him on a personal level?
- Do you compare yourself to him?
- Do you feel that he has a “place” behind you?