Last night I watched “Welcome Back, Pluto”, a DVD about parental alienation from Dr. Richard A. Warshak. As I’ve mentioned before, PA is a subject I feel quite strongly about, so I was overjoyed to hear this gem existed. I bought it right away.
Given the issue, I think it might be difficult to get this DVD into the hands of children who need to see it. The messaging is very direct, which often raises a red flag and proves to be an immediate turnoff (for the child as well as the favored parent). Another hurdle is the presentation itself, which is applicable to a broad age range. Young children might find some parts too boring/mature while teenagers may feel the content is too juvenile. (Not that I’m qualified to know exactly what peoples’ reactions would be… this is just gut-based conjecture)
But enough objectivity, let me tell you what I loved about this piece:
- Again, I am so happy this exists, yay!!
- The majority of the content is directed toward alienated children.
- It’s quite comprehensive and examines the situation from many perspectives (targeted parent, favored parent and child).
- The presentation is simple and straightforward
- The content is easy to understand
- Tips are offered for parents and children.
- The “chapters” are short, which allows for quick viewing and discussion over multiple days if necessary.
I imagine this DVD will be a helpful tool for therapists and a meaningful conversation piece for parents and children. I’m hoping this breakthrough work is just the beginning. I’d love to see more child-focused media to raise awareness of this important issue.Google+